General questions

Can I schedule an appointment online?

Yes, visit this link to schedule an appointment with an Addition Financial representative.

What is Addition Financial's routing number?

Our routing number is 263181384.

How can I change my address?

You may change your address by calling us at 407-896-9411 or 800-771-9411 (outside Orlando). Or visit any branch location with new proof of residency.

How can I make my loan payment?

You can make a loan payment online via your online banking account, over the phone or in person at any of our branch locations.

When I call Addition Financial the representative can’t always answer my question and they say that have to submit a service event or ticket, what is that?

Addition Financial has contracted with another call center who will take our overflow calls.  This minimizes the hold time for our members and gives our members after-hours support.  If the member service representative is unable to answer your question, they will submit a service event/ticket and an Addition Financial representative will respond to you directly.

Heritage members are entitled to one free box of checks a year, can they be ordered online?

No. To get your free box of checks, you must give us a call at 407-896-9411 or 800-896-9411 and request the free box. If you order checks online, you will be charged.

My address has changed, can I order checks online?

If your address has changed since your last check order, please give us a call at 407-896-9411 or 800-896-9411 and we will order the checks for you.  Only use the check order online if the information has not changed since your last check order.

I found transactions on my credit card that I did not authorize, what do I do?

Call the credit card fraud department at 800-235-7728.  The phone number is also listed on the back of your credit card.

What do I do if I notice a transaction on my debit card or checking account that I don’t recognize or didn’t authorize?

Log in to online banking and select "dispute/fraud debit card transactions" or come into a branch.

Can I make a loan payment using my debit card?

No, you must use your routing number and either your checking account number or savings account number.

How do I cancel a payment coming from another financial institution that was unauthorized?

First reach out to the other financial institution to cancel the payment. If they are unable to cancel the payment please either stop by a branch or give us a call to complete a Written Statement of Unauthorized for Unauthorized/Improper ACH Debit Debit Activity.  This form needs to be signed before the funds can be returned to your account.

I got gas and I know I had enough funds in my account, why am I being charged a courtesy pay fee?

When you swipe your card at the pump, the merchant will automatically hold $100.  If you don’t have $100 in your account, courtesy pay kicks in and you could be charged a fee.  To avoid this, go inside and swipe your card inside.

Online banking

Can I make a loan payment from an external account?

Yes, you can set-up an external transfer by logging into your online banking account under "transfer funds."

How do I set up biller to pay a bill?

Log in to online banking, select bill payer and select "view demo."

I sent a payment through billpayer and the merchant says they haven’t received it, how do I get proof the payment was sent?

Log into online banking and view your payment history for the transaction. You can submit a payment inquiry or stop the payment if it was not sent electronically. 

I’m traveling outside the US and I will be using my debit/credit card.  How do I notify you?

From the Menu option select “Settings” then select “Manage Travel Settings"

I forgot my password, what do I do?

Select "forgot password" under the online banking sign in.

I get an error message that states “System Unavailable,” what does that mean?

Occasionally our online banking network experiences an outage; this is similar to an ATM machine that is out of order.  Please try your request again later and if you still get the same error message, please contact us at 407-896-9411 or 800-771-9411.

I want to receive my statements electronically, how do I sign up?

From the Menu option select “My Profile” then select “Settings” and “Change Statement Preferences."

How do I update my address and phone number?

Log into your online banking account.  From the Menu option select “Profile” then select “Update profile” and “Change Profile”.

How can I get my account number and routing number?

From the Menu option select “Profile” then select “My Account Numbers."

What browser does Addition Financial Support?

Windows - Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Google Chrome

Macintosh – Safari, Firefox